European Lead Factory Results: Fast Facts
as of 31 March 2017
- University of Sheffield and Parkinson’s UK has started a joint virtual biotech, Keapstone Therapeutics, to further develop ELF target programme results. Parkinson’s UK has allocated 1 million GBP (1.2 million EUR).
- A Sweden-based start-up company, ScandiCure AB, has been founded based on the results of an EU Lead Factory target programme. ScandiCure is developed with the support and investment of GU Ventures, which is wholly owned by the Swedish State.
- Patents on EU Lead Factory compounds for treatment of multi-resistant bacteria infections and cancer.
- An EU Lead Factory programme accepted by IMI’s ENABLE for preclinical development.
- In vivo proof-of-concept generated with EU Lead Factory compounds.
- 2 PhD thesis enhanced with EU Lead Factory target programme assay development and screening results.
- >50 scientific, peer-reviewed articles, whereof one is the 4th most downloaded article published in Drug Discovery Today in 2015.
- 470,000 compounds in the Joint European Compound Library (JECL), whereof >150,000 of the prospected 200,000 novel screening compounds have been synthesised. 330,000 compounds were selected and assembled from the EFPIA participants’ proprietary compound collections the first 6 months of operation giving the screening operations a flying start.
- Many testimonials of the high quality of the EU Lead Factory output and the JECL compounds. For example, 22/62 EFPIA partner screens have triggered further work.
- 85 public target programmes accepted, 55 high throughput screens finished and 62 hit lists with associated data reports handed over to the target owners.
- In total, 3,750 qualified hits have been granted public and private target owners (1,517 and 2,243 respectively).
- >2,200 bespoke compounds synthesised in hit validation and hit-to-lead phase of public target programmes.
- >30 crystal structures of target–compound complexes have been solved.
- >230 bespoke assays have been developed in order to extract the most interesting hits for public programmes.
- 13/15 of the public target programmes offered to the industry EFPIA participants have been invited to provide a dossier for further assessment.
- >75 academic postdoctoral fellows trained in industry methods and approaches.
- Researchers in 15 countries (AT, BE, DE, DK, ES, FI, FR, IT, IL, HU, NL, PL, PT, SE, UK) involved. Partners spread over 8 countries and target owners over 13.
- 2 Custom-built data management platforms, the Honest Data Broker system developed to enable screening data management and triaging, whilst ensuring confidentiality and patentability; TarosGate2, a chemistry workflow management system with a secure built-in electronic laboratory notebook.